Located on the eastern side of Puerto Rico's Culebra archipelago, Culebrita is accessible only by private charters. Culebrita, Cayo Botella, Pelá and Pelaita all form the barrio fraile of Culebra it is also a portion of the Culebra National Wildlife Park. If you are staying on the big island of Puerto Rico, Yachts Puerto Rico Charters will take you to Culebrita aboard one of our luxury yachts.
Things to Know About Culebrita
- It was discovered by Christopher Columbus on his second journey to the Americas.
- The first colonization was done in 1880 by settlers from Puerto Rico and Vieques.
- The first and the only lighthouse of Culebritawas built under the leadership of Cayetano Escudero Sanz in 1975.
- The island boasts more than 97 plant species and 38 animal species which are native to the island.
- Camping is not allowed in Culebrita as it is part of the wildlife park.
- You will not find any hotel or restaurant here. So a private charter is the best option to experience Culebrita.
Beaches in Culebrita
Culebrita is the only coral island in the Caribbean and has a very diverse landscape. There are forests, amazing beaches, cliffs and lagoons. It is a y-shaped island with six beaches all of which arestunning.
- Playa Tortuga (Turtle Beach): This beach is named after its sea turtle population. This white sandy beach is perfect for snorkeling and relaxing.
- Trash and West Beach: These two beaches are popular amongst yachts charterers and boat companies for anchoring purposes.
- Laguna de Molino and the Eastern Tidal Flat: These are not beaches but lagoons with tidal pools. They are surrounded by a small mangrove fringe that serves as an important wildlife habitat. You can swim, relax and enjoy the beauty in these tidal pools.
Things to do in Culebrita
- Bird and Animal Watching: Culebrita island is home to 32 bird species, 4 reptiles and 2 mammikhhjre. You will find a wide variety of animals and bird species here. Expect to see green and hawksbill sea turtles, white-cheeked pintails, brown pelicans, reptiles, waterfowls and more.
- Snorkeling and Scuba Diving: Culebrita is the top destination for snorkeling and diving experiences. The cays surrounding Culebrita are home to numerous fish species, reefs, sea turtles and other marine creatures.
- Hiking: Take the short hike up the hill to soak in views from the only lighthouse on the island.
- Fishing: Enjoy deep sea sportfishing around Culebrita. You can catch tuna, sailfish, kingfish or barracuda. Bonefish are big and plentiful here as well.
- Kayaking: There are no lifeboats or amenities on the beaches of Culebrita. You must check the weather conditions and waves before starting your kayaking trip here. You can access great snorkeling sites via your kayak if you are an experienced swimmer or snorkeler.
- Boating and Sailing: Before returning to your hotel Puerto Rico, enjoy some time aboard your yacht, exploring the beautiful island of Culebrita. It is the best way to end an adventurous and memorable day.
- Cayo Botella: It is an island that is nearly 30 feet long and covered in grass. It is surrounded by an extensive coral reef. We always recommend our guests to stop here after their Culebrita trip for a nice snorkeling experience.
- Tierra a Medio: This is located between Culebrita and Culebra. It is a shallow area with depths ranging from 13-29 feet and makes for another perfect site for snorkeling.
- Cayo Norte: This privately owned island is located 36km east of Puerto Rico and north of Culebrita. There is a beach on the south coast of CayoNorte that is home to the hawksbill sea turtle and the green sea turtle.
- Culebra: It is an undeveloped, beautiful island. It has a collection of wonderful beaches including Flamenco Beach, Tamarindo Beach and more. You can visit the Culebra National Wildlife Refuge. Enjoy bird watching, turtle viewing, snorkeling, swimming, scuba diving and more. Just like Culebrita, Culebra is untouched and unspoiled. It has modern accommodations, a casual dining scene and includes some stores.
Visit Culebrita if you want to escape busy city life, relax on the beach, swim in pristine turquoise waters, explore marine life, or just soak in the natural beauty. Get away from your hectic schedule and the hustles and bustles of city life and explore the Island of Culebrita. At Yachts Puerto Rico Charters, we provide a range of luxury yachts charters/yacht rentals/boat charters/boat rental and cruises for travellers coming to Puerto Rico and looking to explore surrounding places like Culebrita. We have a charter expert that aids in planning your future itinerary. Whether you want to spend a day in Culebrita or want to come to Culebra and Puerto Rico for a week or month, we can help you plan everything. Our vessels are equipped with luxurious accommodations similar to what you would experience at a 5-star hotel. The charter will include delicious cuisine, plenty of beverage options, water toy add-ons and phenomenal entertainment facilities. Contact our charter specialists here to start planning a vacation of a lifetime.