Puerto Rico is a wonderful beach destination with hundreds of cays, islets and snorkeling sites to explore. Fajardo Cay is an offshore treasure of Puerto Rico, located on its eastern side, it will take you an average of 45 minutes from the capital city of San Juan to reach Fajardo. It is considered to be a gateway to Culebra and Vieques. From beaches, nature reserves, the bioluminescent bay, to the national forest – Fajardo is home to many adventurous activities. We have highlighted numerous sites for your Fajardo vacation.
Top Attractions in Fajardo
- Seven Seas: Fajardo has a peaceful shoreline that is ideal for snorkeling. You will find palm and almond trees on the beach, providing you perfect shady areas for a beach picnic, sunbathing or just for relaxing. It has all the beach amenities like gazebos, food kiosks, parking areas, camping areas, restrooms and showers.
- La Zanja: It is the most Instagram-worthy location in Fajardo. La Zanja is a natural pool created by huge Atlantic waves that fill the “ditch-like” indentation. It will take you less than 30 minutes to get here from the Seven Seas.
- Playa Escondida: Escondida means hidden – This is a hidden beach in Fajardo that is secluded and quiet. From the beach, you can see Luquillo and El Yunque.
- Playa Colorá: Located to the far left of the Seven Seas beach, this little paradise is secluded and offers privacy while you sunbathe or relax. There are other beaches near Colora including Finca el Convento and Governor’s Beach, so you have a couple options to explore during your trip here.
- Laguna Grande Bioluminescent Bay: Situated on the east coast of Fajardo, Laguna Grande is a popular attraction among nature lovers. Partake in a kayaking trip to this bay at night and you will be able to see millions of dinoflagellates floating in the water. Swimming is not allowed in this bay but you can “draw” in the water with your fingers to see the magic of the bioluminescent creatures.
- Las Croabas: It is a small fishing community located on the northern side of Puerto Rico. It is a launch point for Las Cabezas de San Juan Nature Reserve and El Yunque National Rain Forest. Las Croabas Lagoon is also home to bioluminescent planktons that glow in the water when the sun goes down. Las Croaba has shallow waters making it easier for you to snorkel under the water.
- El Yunque National Rain Forest: Take a tour of the national forest to explore its biodiversity and ecosystems. You will find Tabonuco forest, waterfalls, exhibition galleries and varieties of birds.
- Cordillera Nature Reserve: Located off the coast of Fajardo, this nature reserve has 10 islands, each with its own allure and charm. These islands can only be reached by a boat/ private charter. The islands are Los Farallones, Cayo Icacos, Cayo Ratones, Cayo Diablo, Cayo Cucaracha, Cayo Icacos, Cayo Lobos, la Banquilla, Arrecifes Hermanos, Arrecifes Barriles, Isla Palominos and Isla Palominitos. All these islands are home to numerous birds and reptiles, plus you can partake in water activities like snorkeling, swimming and fishing.
- Fajardo’s Lighthouse: El Faro de Fajardo is the oldest lighthouse in Puerto Rico. The lighthouse has a neoclassical structure and features a Spanish tower at the top.
- Las Croabas Park: This is a small park with open-air gazebos and facilities for kite flying, skating, exercising, slides, swings and more.
Best Beaches, Hotels and Restaurants
Beaches: Known for its breathtaking views, Fajardo is home to laid-back cays and getaways. The best beaches of Fajardo include Seven Seas, Luquillo Beach, Palomino Beach, Playa Azul, Playa Colora, Palominito Beach and Playa Escondida.
Hotels: Fajardo is a far off destination in Puerto Rico but boasts luxurious and boutique hotels. Some of the hotels where you can enjoy a good stay include Fajardo Inn, El Conquistador Resort, Las casitas, Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn, Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort, Bahia Beach Resort & Golf Club, Gran Melia Puerto Rico, W Retreat & Spa Vieques Island, Blue Horizon Boutique Resort and Club Cala De Palmas, just to name a few.
Restaurants: From deep-fried seafood to coconut French toast, Fajardo's restaurants offer eclectic dishes to satisfy your taste buds. You can try authentic cuisines at these restaurants - Las Vistas Café, Pasiónpor el Fogón, La Estación, Cinco Nudos, Sal y Pimienta, El Pescador, Don Esteban, Calizo Kiosko, Sal Y Pimienta, Dulce Aroma, La Parrilla and Rustic, among others.
Top Things to do in Fajardo
- Snorkeling: Fajardo has the best snorkeling areas in Puerto Rico. Its seascape is amazing. If you want to see some wonderful marine life like octopus, stingray and colorful fish species, then visit Cayo Icasos, Cayos De La Cordillera Nature Reserve, Playa Escondida, Cayos De La Cordillera Nature Reserve and Playa Convento.
- Swimming: With beautiful beaches surrounding each corner of Fajardo, you will have good options for enjoying a great day of swimming and sunbathing. The two best places for swimming areLas Croabasand Seven Seas.
- Beach Relaxation: All the cays, islets and beaches of Fajardo offer laid-back vibes. Bring your own beach umbrella and towel for a beach nap under the sun while hearing the soothing sound of waves.
- Hiking: El Yunque National Rain Forest provides a soul-refreshing experience to hikers. Head over to La Coca trail to reach one of the ponds for swimming, choose El Angelito trail to dive into a lagoon and hike Río Grande to explore more. Hiking through this rainforest will give you a true adventure as you get to see 240 plant species and numerous birds.
Fajardo is a great home base for exploring rainforests, nature reserves, bioluminescent bays, secluded cays, natural pools and stunning hotels. At Yachts Puerto Rico Charters, we provide charters to tourists looking to explore the Fajardo Cays and other nearby destinations. Our vessels are fully staffed and equipped to fulfil your quick day trip or week-long excursion. When you charter with us, you will receive modern amenities and a personalized itinerary aboard your charter. Book your luxury charter today by filling out the Contact Form provided on the Contacts page.